The solution was to convert the closet. We started by removing the doors and the tracks. Next, we removed the wire shelving. I repainted the trim white and painted the interior of the closet brown for contrast and to match the walls that we had repainted only a few years ago.
Once everything was cut, the brackets were mounted. We made sure to give the shelves the height we wanted between each one. We didn’t want the same height between the shelves and we wanted a total of six shelves. Lots of measuring ensued!
To give it a more finished look, my husband cut a piece of shelving to use as a front cover for the bottom shelf. He attached this using wooden dowels. That wasn’t in our original plans, but it definitely adds to the overall look.